Becoming a Member
Any person of good character over the age of eighteen (18) years who resides in Kings County, is eligible to file an application for membership with The Brooklyn Board. Those applying for Membership must comply with the requirements and qualifications set forth by District Board #37 and the International Association Of Approved Basketball Officials, Inc. and annually submit and clear a NYS required background investigation.
Membership in I.A.A.B.O. District Board #37 "The Brooklyn Board" - means you are a member of the International Association of Approved Basketball Officials, Inc. (IAABO) – the only organization of its kind in the world: a nonprofit educational and service and organization managed by and for basketball referees. IAABO’s stated purposes are:
· To educate, train, develop, and provide continuous instruction for basketball officials.
· To promote the welfare of the game of basketball, its players and officials.
· To maintain the highest standard of basketball officiating.
· To encourage the spirit of fair play and sportsmanship.
· To have available at all times an adequate number of thoroughly trained and capable officials.
· To Cooperate with all organizations officially connected with the game of basketball in furthering its interests and ideals.
All working members are required to attend at least 4 meetings each fiscal year, 1 of which shall be an I.A.A.B.O. Interpretation meeting.
The remaining 3 required Board meetings can be made up from one of the additional Board 37 meetings. Please see the calendar for dates.
IF YOU FAIL TO MEET THE 3 REQUIRED MEETINGS, YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO ATTEND AN EQUAL NUMBER OF INSTRUCTIONAL CLASSES CONDUCTED BY OUR INTERPRETER.